14.11.09

A virtual experience with OS


After i visited Jonni's home in Melbourne, Jan 09, and witnessed his XPS laptop, I decided to get one for myself. I have been using my new Dell XPS M1330 for quite a few month by now. it is shipped with a built-in Vista 32 bit home basic (cheapest possible Windows). Recently the Vista suffered a series of serious clashes after automatic updating , so much so that I am forced to do multiple times system reinstallation. Anyone had experienced the same tragedy?


I have installed a Ubuntu 9.x 64 bits in the my laptop. Ubuntu has its own problem, esp. I can't get into the wireless in my working place which requires some sort of security authentication. The wireless authentication seems to require some sort of 'radius' certificate before it can accept the login. I can log in wireless easily with Vista which has this radius, but no luck with Ubuntu.


So I am trying an alternative way to fix the problem. The policy in TU Delft has it that guest can't used the wired LAN cable with laptops. so what I am doing as an attempt to circumvent the problem is to install Vbox (from SUN) in my Ubuntu. The Vbox virtual machine was up and running in the Ubuntu. Fine. Then I put in my Vista installation disk and get the installation running inside the Vbox. The installation went on well, so now I have a Ubuntu host and a vista guest. But the problem is: The Vista guest can get wired internet connection but not the wireless one. The problem is that the wireless driver in the Dell XPS M1330 cannot be installed inside the virtual machines. When I attempted to install the missing network controller drivers from the Dell Installation CD for drivers, permission was denied, claiming that the driver is not meant for a `32 bit application'. I even tried to download the latest driver from support.dell.com , but I got the same denial: The drivers (packaged in R12345x.exe form) just can't get installed. The wireless network controller in the virtual vista just refused to work. So, how can I make the virtual Vista installed in the vbox running in my Ubuntu to detect wireless signals? I have spent quit a bit of time trying to solve this issue since the last few days, including googling in the net, including this one http://johnpaulett.com/2007/03/25/vista-on-ubuntu-using-virtualbox/ but it did not solve my problem.


So, I actually did successfully install a Vista guest in my Ubuntu 9 host's Vbox, and the guest Vista also connect to wired internet as well. Just that the virtual Vista does not detect the wireless network card, other wise it works quite OK. There is a problem to install Windows XP 64 bit in the Dell XPS M1330, as many drivers are not provided by Dell. I actually have adopted Jonni's solutions (as a matter of fact I had tried almost all possible combination, e,g, Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista as guest, vbox in vista, Vbox in Ubuntu 9 etc. All didn't work out the way I want them to be. My experience confirm the rumor that Vista 32 home basic is the lousiest OS.


At this point I decide not to spend time to trouble shoot it anymore. I had spent too much time to debug the above issues. I also discovered that I can't be disciplined enough to let go of minor things that are of no importance. The virtual machine issue is a good example. It's actually not a very essential issues to settle, but I spent weeks to do it (almost uncontrollably), and left the more hard core problem of physics programming not done. I suspect this is a manifestation of my tendency to shunt difficult problem. Almost every day, after waking up, I have to look into the mirror to remind myself not to repeat the same tendency on that day. I get to feel more deeply that cultivation spirituality is a process that requires right effort, energy and constant reminder, as our intrinsic nature is dominated by the tendency to drown into laziness.


10 August 2009 2:19

沒有留言:

張貼留言